50 Reasons I’ve Loved Sobriety for 50 Days!
Man alive, am I glad I didn’t cave into those pesky cravings on Thursday night (read my post about that here) because today, ladies and gentlemen, I am 50 WHOLE DAYS SOBER! WOOHOOO!
I can’t believe I’m over halfway through Sober Spring: I’m so bloody proud of myself.
A part of me wishes I could tell the me of this time last year that it’s going to get better. I want her to know that the pain goes away and the grass really is greener on the other side when it comes to alcohol and sobriety. Of course, I can’t do that. I know she needs to go through the pain to get to the happiness.
What I can do is write a list of all the reasons I’ve loved being sober for the past 50 days & hopefully it will help somebody out there who is look for reasons to give up the booze and/or put down the drugs.
Here’s 50 reasons I’ve loved sobriety for 50 days:
- Mornings have become beautiful again
- I’m less angry
- I laugh out loud and smile all the time – and it’s real
- I’ve lost a little weight (woo!)
- I’ve saved some pennies
- I can focus more clearly
- Food tastes better
- Memories have come flooding back
- Sleep is actually peaceful again
- I can be in my own company and enjoy it
- Silence is no longer so scary (read my post Comfortable in Silence)
- I’ve fallen back in love with nature
- Weekends feel longer
- I’m in control
- My relationships in all areas have improved
- I feel excited for life
- I’ve learnt so much about the true nature of alcohol
- Discovered a whole new genre of literature: quit-lit
- Feel creatively inspired again
- No hangovers!
- Better at making decisions
- Realised my own strength and capability
- Proved I do have determination and resilience
- Deflating the long standing “Paige will be drunk” joke
- Reconnected with friends I’d let fall to the side lines
- Writing on this blog and connecting with amazing, like-minded people
- Not eating as much junk food (although I’m still a sucker for a bag of crisps)
- People have told me I’m “blossoming” and “glowing”
- No longer wake up with the dreaded beer fear
- Anxiety levels have dropped
- Feeling happy daily
- Started to write again
- Encouraged others to want to cut down on drinking
- Learning to listen and understand my body better
- Have time for yoga
- Began to mediate again
- Feel more spiritually connected
- Wake-up feeling positive
- Gratitude levels are through the roof
- Feel more confident in myself
- I have discovered a greater sense of compassion
- Had many scrumptious non-alcoholic drinks
- Did I mention NO HANGOVERS? It deserves two mentions, trust me
- I can touch my toes again!
- My eyes are brighter (which has some fancy science behind it this I can’t remember!)
- No terrifying blackouts
- No more obsessing over my heart rate (I was terrified of having a heart attack)
- Seeing beauty in everyday things
- Feeling a whole range of emotions which is sometimes scary, but mainly wonderful
- Making it to milestones like 50 days and feeling INCREDIBLY proud